We deal with all aspects of heart and chest and vascular surgery in adults, and with surgery for congenital heart pathology. In children, the operations are mainly to correct congenital heart deformities and, in adults, to replace or repair heart valves (aortic, mitral, and tricuspid), treat disturbances of rhythm (atrial fibrillation), or perform coronary bypass, great vessel surgery, cardiovascular emergency surgery, and less frequent operations such as for heart tumor.
There are a number of specific programs:
- Video-thoracoscopy-assisted minimally invasive surgery, notably for mitral valve repair and replacement
- Aortic valve conservation for the correction and treatment of dystrophic insufficiency with or without associated ascending aorta aneurysm.
- Surgical and intra-prosthetic treatment of thoracic and abdominal aorta disease.
- Surgical treatment of terminal heart failure, including assisted circulation (artificial heart) and heart transplant in children and in adults.
- Treatment of congenital cardiopathy in the pediatric medical-surgical unit, an original structure for all adults and children with congenital cardiopathy.
Our team regularly presents our clinical and scientific work at international congresses and publishes it in specialized journals, ensuring worldwide recognition for the department and enhancing the reputation of the Hospices Civils de Lyon (the Lyon Hospital Board). This hi-tech surgery requires special investment from surgeons and hyper-specialization.